Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt S'mores Bars


So about a week ago I picked up ingredients for s'mores. With the insanely beautiful (and warm) weather we've been having, along with the nice fire pit we've acquired, I thought it was a brilliant idea to be ready with s'mores ingredients. I picked up the standard grahams and marshmallows, but I wanted to try something different with the chocolate. I'm sorry to all the standard Hershey's milk chocolate lovers out there, but it just doesn't cut it for me. So I grabbed dark chocolate with a hint of sea salt - yum. Anyway, we ended up not making a bonfire or the s'mores. All week I've been thinking, "what can I do with this stuff?" So I googled. And I found so many recipes for s'mores bars. So many called for marshmallow fluff, which I didn't have. Others called for just using the graham crackers as the crust, but I was hoping for something with more of a "bar-like" taste and feel. So in the end, I combined a few ideas to come up with these: these absolutely delicious dark chocolate and sea salt s'mores bars. YUM.

Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt S'mores Bars

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 large Dark chocolate with a hint of sea salt bars (I used Lindt), broken into squares
Half a bag of miniature marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined. Spread dough evenly into pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Turn the oven setting to broil. Place chocolate squares over hot crust and let sit for 3-5 minutes, until nicely melted. Use a spatula to spread it evenly over crust. Dump marshmallows evenly over chocolate layer and place under the broiler for just a minute or so, until the marshmallows are deeply golden brown. Allow to cool for a little while (if you can wait that long), then cut, serve, and EAT!




No comments: