Monday, June 30, 2008

Scuba Diving, Four Wheeling, and No Pictures

McDreamy has recently had the opportunity (along with his brother and dad) to take courses to become certified to scuba dive. Their final diving sessions were this past weekend, WAY up north. And when I say WAY up north, I mean so far north, that gas station parking lots are filled with four wheelers instead of cars. I believe the statement was made: "You know you are really in the boonies when there are more four wheelers than cars at the gas station." Despite the incredibly long car trip in a small car, stuffed to the brim with breathing tanks, scuba gear, and luggage, the trip was a success. The guys did their final diving in an old coal mine that is now completely submerged underwater. An entire forest was underwater, surrounded by croppies and sunnies and all other possible lake fish you can think of. Unfortunately, no pictures were taken during this time!!! It's an outrage, I know, and very sad. Pictures of my husband, brother-in-law and father-in-law in scuba gear would have come in handy in the future, if ever I had the need for blackmail. So sadly, there are ZERO pictures to go along with the scuba diving stories.

Did I mention already that this all took place WAY up north? Oh. Well...it's an important piece of the story-so don't forget it! My brother-in-law's wife's parents (AKA-my sister-in-law's parents) are retired and live for 9 out of the 12 months in their cabin on the lake. (The other 3 months, they are hot rodding around the country in their JUMBO motor home. You know, the kind where you could fit an entire football team WITH their gear in it, it's so big? Yeah...that kind.) Anyway, we stayed with my sister-in-law's parents at their cabin, which sits on 90 acres of land. 90 acres of beautiful, big, open spaces, perfect for four wheeling. Now, I have to say this: I do not care if you have grown up in the city, that you are so "city" that you don't even know what a cow looks like. I don't care! Deep down inside everyone, there is a desire to be a "little bit country." And my desire for that taste of "country" comes to the forefront every time I get near a four wheeler. There is just something about it. Being out in literally, the middle of nowhere, with a machine that drives through mud, rocks, tree limbs, meadows, etc, It all just seems so...NOT smack dab in the middle of the city. It's just you and nature. Period. There's something just very basic and refreshing about the whole experience. Going so fast the wind whips your hair and takes your breath away. The subtle smell of exhaust and mud and grass and wild flowers. The idea that you can seemingly go on forever and never encounter another human. Even having to spit the occasional bug or piece of grass from your mouth. These are things that really cannot be experienced anywhere but out in the middle of absolutely nowhere. And I love it. And unfortunately, my words are going to have to be enough to paint you a picture, because I have none to show. But just know, that up north, way north, at a cabin by a lake, on miles and miles of beautiful "uncivilized land", I visited that part of myself that is just a little bit country.
Sorry about the no pictures thing...we'll get some up next time!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You NEEEED to get a camera that you can carry with you at all times! However, your words paint beautiful pictures of your "little bit country" experience. :)